I’m Brent. Currently, I am a post-doc at Washington University in St. Louis in the department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics studying in the Greenberg Lab. I use in vitro techniques to explore force generation in molecular motors and to characterize the molecular/biophsyical properties of cardiac muscle dysfunction underlying heart disease. My CV is here.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate
- 2022 - Present · Biochemistry & Mocular Biophysics (WashU)
- My current research interests involve characterizing the molecular determinents of genetic cardiomyopathies and related heart diseases. I also feel strongly about using/contributing to open source and reproducible science, software, and communities.
- Graduate Research Assistant
- 2016 - 2022 · Muscle Biophysics Lab (UMass Amherst)
- My research focus in grad school was in the field of single molecule biophysics. More specifically, my interests included investigating the molecular mechanisms underlying the regulation of force generation and energy transduction in skeletal muscle myosin II and its associated regulatory proteins, troponin and tropomyosin.
- Undergraduate Research Assistant
- 2015 - 2016 · Neuromuscular Physiology Lab (Vanderbilt University Medical Center)
- Courses Taught
- UMass Amherst · KIN 110 (Human Performance & Nutrition); KIN 470 (Exercise Physiology)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant
- UMass Amherst · KIN 100 (Introduction to Kinesiology); KIN 110; KIN 394 (Applied Exercise Testing)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate
- 2022 - Present · Washington Unversity in St. Louis
- Ph.D. in Kinesiology
- 2019 - 2022 · University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Thesis: What is the relative timing between myosin's powerstroke and phosphate release?
- M.S. in Kinesiology
- 2016 - 2019 · University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Thesis: Tropomyosin-Based Effects of Acidosis on Thin-Filament Regulation During Muscle Fatigue
- B.S. in Exercise Science
- 2012 - 2016 · Belmont University
2021. Scott B, Marang C, Woodward M, & Debold EP. Myosin's powerstroke occurs prior to the release of phosphate from the active site. Cytoskeleton. https://doi.org/10.1002/cm.21682.
2020. Gunther LK, Rohde JA, Tang W, Cirilo JA Jr, Marang CP, Scott BD, Thomas DD, Debold EP, Yengo CM. FRET and optical trapping reveal mechanisms of actin-activation of the power stroke and phosphate-release in myosin V. J Biol Chem. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA120.015632.
2020. Mike Woodward, Eric Ostrander, Seung P. Jeong, Xiarong Liu, Brent Scott, Matt Unger, Jianhan Chen, Dhandapani Venkataraman, Edward P. Debold. Positional Isomers of a Non-Nucleoside Substrate Differentially Affect Myosin Function. . Biophysical Journal 119(3), 567-580.
2021. Mike K Woodward, Eric Ostrander, Brent D Scott, Christopher Marang, Xiaorong Liu, Jianhan Chen, Dhandapani Venkataraman, Edward P Debold. Enhancing Cardiac Myosin Function with an Abiotic Energy Source. Biophysical Journal 120 (3), 249a.
2021. Christopher P Marang, Brent D Scott, Mike K Woodward, Edward P Debold. Tirasemtiv and dATP Synergistically Reverse the Acidosis-induced Depression of Myosin’s Force and Motion Generating Capacity. Biophysical Journal 120 (3), 60a0.
2016. Coolbaugh C., Bush E., Sabin S., Scott B., Damon B., & Towse T. Rapid Onset Vasodilation in the Leg is Greater in Habitual Endurance Runners. The FASEB Journal, 30(1 Supplement), 761.10-761.10.
- Automated analysis of laser trap data using R Shiny
Data Analysis (R programming)
In Vitro Motility
- Spending time with my wife and our kiddos
- Running, biking, kayaking (really anything outdoorsy!)
- Virtual drum lessons through Naples Park Music